Hello

Hi Friends! Well, I'm back from a much needed vacation! I wound up taking two full weeks, and I've never done that :-). I truly got away, relaxed and re-energized! I went to Oceanside, then drove to Laughlin, as a friend of mine had a golf tournament. We were given balcony rooms and it was the Blues and brews weekend, so I sat on my balcony and listened to blues music! While in Laughlin I went across the river and was in Arizona. I went to a small town off Route 66 called Oatman. It's a small ghost town/mining town and in it's hay day the miners would use donkeys in the mines. After things went belly up they let the donkeys go wild, and to this day the donkeys come into town every day (Walk in the middle id the street)  and the tourist's feed them lol! We had to wait about 15 minutes for the road to clear enough to drive thru! Also, in this little town, Clark Gable and Carol Lombard had their honeymoon. They have the room glassed off but you could see inside. Pretty cool! I asked why he would get married in a small town like that and they said he liked to play poker with the miners and it was a nice quiet town off Route 66. It got me to thinking it would be fun one day to drive the whole Route 66. I loved San Diego and Oceanside.....beautiful!




 
 
 
Here's more info on the town

 

Oatman started life over 100 years ago as a mining tent camp, and quickly became a flourishing gold-mining center. In 1915, two miners struck a $10 million gold find, and within a year, the town's population grew to more than 3,500.
Olive Oatman
Olive Oatman. Chin tattoo was given her by the Mojave Indians, who reportedly treated her well

Oatman was named in honor of Olive Oatman, who as a young girl, was kidnapped by an Apache tribe, sold toMojave Indians and later rescued in a trade in 1857 near the current site of the town. Oatman was served by a narrow gauge rail line between 1903 and 1905 that ran 17 miles to the Colorado River near Needles, California.
But both the population and mining booms were short-lived. In 1921, a fire burned down many of the smaller shacks in town, and three years later, the main mining company, United Eastern Mines, shut down operations for good. Oatman survived by catering to travelers on old U.S. Route 66. But in the 1960s, when the route became what is now Interstate 40, Oatman almost died.
Oatman is a fun place to visit -- an authentic old western town with burros roaming the streets and gunfights staged on weekends. The burros are tame and can be hand fed.  I was surprised to see five old Model T Fords out for a Sunday drive down the main street of Oatman. The cars fit right in with the romantic image of this old town, taking us back to 1915 era old west.
The Oatman Hotel, built in 1902, is the oldest two-story adobe structure in Mojave County and has housed many miners, movie stars, politicians and other scoundrels. The town was used as the location for several movies such as How The West Was Won, Foxfire and Edge of Eternity.

Clark Gable and Carol Lombard honeymooned at the Oatman Hotel March 18, 1939. Their honeymoon suite is still one of the major attractions at the Oatman Hotel. Gable returned there often to play poker with the local miners and enjoy the solitude of the desert.

 
Oatman's "wild" burros are the descendants of burros brought here by the miners in the late 1800s; when the miners no longer needed them, they were turned loose. Each morning they come into town looking for food. They wander the streets and greet the tourists. Burro pellets and carrots are for sale at many of the shops -- the burros will eat all day if you feed them. Shortly before sunset they wander back to the hills for the night.
 
Oatman Video link
 




 Many of the shopkeepers make their own products and obtain other rare and interesting items from far and near. There are many handmade leather goods, handmade Indian jewelry and excellent knives sold right from the wooden sidewalks running the length of the town.
Local gunfights are staged on the weekends



Map of Oatman's location in the Mohave Desert


There are two main roads linking Oatman to State Highway 95. One is paved and the other is a dirt road leading to Bullhead City about 25 miles away. The dirt road is in fairly good condition and is certainly a pleasurable egress from Oatman. The scenery along this route is excellent and will really make you feel like you're back in the untamed days of the old west.

You can see the old mine tailing piles and a fascinating variety of desert vegetation and rock formations.
 
 
So my daughter says, mom you never go anywhere except the ocean......I happen to love the ocean. I can honestly say, I'm NOT a   dessert person, I'm a water, and trees kinda girl :-) But I can say I venture out of my comfort zone and will go back to the ocean next year lol!
 
 
Have a great day! Char

17 comments:

Greta said...

I am so happy you had a good vacation, Char! Thanks for sharing the pictures & story. My hubby would love going there, although neither of us want more than a few hours in the desert! Lakes, trees & mountains are my paradise. Took me a minute to be able to type as that card took my breath away! Truly stunning, my friend!

~amy~ said...

Looks like you had a great time...thanks for sharing the fun pics!
Your card is gorgeous...love the watercoloring!

Leslie Webster said...

Love the card and I have been to the town on our way to Grand Canyon, fun little town and we drove part of route 66 but I am with you it would be fun to drive the entire route. Glad you got some R&R sounded like lots of fun!

cm said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so thrilled you've returned, refreshed, rejuvenated and full of wonderful stories about your adventures to Oatman and beyond! What fabulous places you've visited, rich with history, cool events and burros! That last photo is toooooo cute! Your card is gorgeous! What a wonderful way to wish us "Hello"!
Hugs~c
PS: Thank you for your sweet comments on my GD gig; knowing you like my cards is such a spirit-lift! More hugs!!

Sandy said...

Hey Char - so glad you are back safe and sound. Your card is so pretty and I must tell you I definitely loved your pictures of the ghost town and donkeys. I might not be able to go there in person but I feel like I saw it through your eyes. Interesting facts you served up too!
sandy xx

Lisa Young said...

Gorgeous card and pictures, Char!!!

Lisa said...

Oh wow, what a stunning card!! The colors are beautiful!! I love the flowers!! It's fabulous!! I'm so glad you had a wonderful vacation!! Your pictures are awesome!! I love those cute donkeys!! I was just in that area a year ago and had no idea the town existed :( I would have loved to see it!! That last picture is so cute!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Annette Allen said...

sounds like my kind of vacation.. love all those photos.. so glad you got some great rest and time away.
Love your card..

Maria said...

So happy to hear you got away and had a wonderful vacation, Char! Thanks so much for the fun post filled with interesting history and awesome photos! Oh, those burros would be so fun to feed!:). And, your card is just gorgeous with the lovely flowers! Take care, hugs!

Mona Pendleton said...

Such a pretty card Charlene! Love the bright burst of color! Wonderful photos! :) TFS

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, I'm glad you could get away, Charlene! Sounds like a wonderful trip!
And your card is gorgeous! I love it!

Lisa said...

Welcome back my sweet friend, missed you!! I'm so happy you were able to get away and relax. Your card...well it's just plain beautiful!! Fun info and great pics from that special little getaway town. The last picture cracked me up!!!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Beautiful card and glad you had a fun time!

Audrey Pettit said...

Oh, gosh, another gorgeous card with beautiful watercoloring! And I am SO happy to hear you got away for a nice long vacation! How fun to see all your photos and hear the stories. Sounds like quite the adventure and lots of nice relaxation! TFS! I LOVE that last photo!

alexandra s.m. said...

Hi Char!
So happy you had a good break!
your post is really fun and interesting!
WE traveled on Route 66 from Chicago to Arizona but then we headed north to Santa Fe so I never visited that town.
Cheers~

MackieMade Paper Creations said...

Your card is stunning!!!
I really enjoyed seeing the pictures and reading about your vacation!!! Sounded like so much fun!

Jinny Newlin said...

Oh, WOW! That card is simply gorgeous! Love the ornate, white frame and stunning color work! Sounds like a super fun vacation, too! So glad you enjoyed yourself. You deserve it, love! TFS!