Winnie and Walter Week 2 Alcohol Inks

Hi Friends! SO happy to be back for another week of Winnie and Walter Leading Lady inspiration! I hope your enjoying this beautiful month of June! It's the last of the semi-cool weather for us in Northern California. It gets plenty hot for the months of July-Sept.

This week I want to talk about Alcohol Inks. I don't see them used a lot in card making but they are a lot of fun and so easy to use!

First up is a floral card I made with In Bloom: Lola's Bouquet with Joni Andaya", And The Big, the
Bold and Friends This stamp set is so adorable and I love the unique flowers in this set!


When using Alcohol Inks you need glossy paper to start because it's a non-porous surface, an ink blending tool with felt, some blending solution and a non stick craft sheet. Pick the colors you want to use, On my card I used Watermelon, Citrus, Mermaid,  and Sunset Orange. To start, add a few drops of each color onto the felt pad, add blending solution to the felt pad and tap lightly onto the glossy paper where you want the color to go. When adding the inks to paper I kind of twist and turn my wrist so the color applies evenly. After you get the color where you want it,  I then embossed the flowers on the top of the alcohol inks with white embossing powder. Finish off with gold embossing for the sentiment on Vellum.


For this card I used the same technique, same colors but I used more blending solution. As you can see the colors are lighter. Have fun , experiment and share what you make! The sentiment is from The Big, the Bold and Friends and embossed with gold embossing powder.



For this card I used the wonderful new "Hello" Die, In Bloom: Lola's Bouquet with Joni Andaya, In Bloom: Maggie's Roses Cutaways , and The Big, the Bold and Friends Stamp Set. I used the alcohol inks to made a solid green background.,  this is a great idea for all the wonderful dies, and SVG cut files that Winnie and Walter carry, or to make  your own paper in the colors that you use to match




With this card I used about 4 different colors for a colorful bloom. Instead of embossing the flowers with embossing powder, I used Ranger Archival Ink , it's important to use archival ink so it doesn't smear. The beautiful stamp set I used is called In Bloom: Addie's Garden, The Big, the Bold and Friends
                           
This card combines water coloring and alcohol inks. The background is water colored and the beautiful bloom is made using alcohol inks. I left some areas white and filled in the rest with some blues and greens. I used the colors Mermaid, Stream, Citrus, and Botanical.  Just have fun with this technique, it's addicting! The flower is from In Bloom: Addie's Garden. I LOVE this beautiful set of stamps, I think they are the perfect size for a focal point on your card. The sentiment is from The Big, The Bold and Comfort cutaways that coordinate with The Big, The Bold and Comfort stamp set


I've had a lot of fun playing around with alcohol inks and I hope you will give them a try!

Remember to leave a comment on this post, or any Winnie and Walter Leading Lady posts on my blog throughout September for your chance to WIN a $30 gift card for Winnie and Walter, just for leaving a comment!
Once again, a HUGE thanks to Shay and Julie for their generosity, and for this fabulous opportunity!




Have a great day! Char

36 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful collection of cards Charlene! Love the colorful and creative backgrounds!

Lisa said...

Your backgrounds are gorgeous Char! What a wonderful collection of cards today, simply divine!!

cm said...

Char!! I"m visiting with my mom this weekend (my dad passed away in Dec.), and we've spent the last 45 minutes (no exaggeration!) oohing and ahhing over your stellar, stunning cards! She's not a card-maker, but is fascinated by the lovely results you had using alcohol inks, as am I! I tried my best to explain what they were (we went on a little blog venture for some images) and what your process was for each. Talk about both of us being in awe...or rather, in AWE! I don't have alcohol inks (such a limited crafting space I have), but...on the wish list for sure! Works of art, Char...dazzling, divine, delightful works of art! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity with all of us, and especially for captivating my mom (and, of course, me too!)
~c

Lisa said...

Oh my gosh - wow!! All of your cards are amazing, Char!! I love, love the beautiful backgrounds!! What gorgeous colors!! The details on each one are just perfect!! So inspirational and fabulous!! Have a great day :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

alexandra s.m. said...

Amazing cards Char!
Thanks!

jamie vanskiver said...

This looks like a fun technique! I love the look the alcohol inks give. These are beautiful cards tfs!!!

Denise Bryant said...

Awesome Alcohol Inks projects... can't wait to try some of these ideas! Very inspiring!

Diane Jaquay said...

You did such a fabulous job with these cards!! Every one of them is a work of art!

Annette Allen said...

I just seen your post and wow those cards are gorgeous... the backgrounds are amazing.. very pretty..

Berina RGA said...

beautiful cards!! very very amazing!! you are very creative!!

Berina RGA said...

beautiful cards!! very very amazing!! you are very creative!!

Maria said...

Gorgeous color with the backgrounds! And, the embossed flowers are so very pretty! You inspire me to get out my alcohol inks!:-)

loulou said...

Absolutely gorgeous cards. You have inspired me to pull out the alcohol inks - they have been neglected far too long. I especially like the embossing over the inked background - stunning.

D.Ann C said...

These are gorgeous! Alcohol inks haven't played nice with me yet, but perhaps I'll give them another try now. Thanks for the inspiration!

pcm said...

GORGEOUS! I love the colors and the designs both!

Miriam Prantner said...

Amazing cards! I love alcohol inks, although I confess I don't pull them out nearly as much as I should! What a fantastic technique embossing over top, LOVE!

Lisa's Creative Niche said...

Wow! I love what you've done with these inks.... I've wanted some before but now I want them more!

mandalj said...

I have no idea about how to use alcohol inks or what they usually are used for, but I've been inspired by your cards here!

Leslie Webster said...

So many lovely cards. I really like the horizontal stripes with the green, it's very striking.

Taunya Butler said...

OH MY - OH WOW - How stunning and gorgeous!!! Love the way the colors are so vivid and rich on each of these beautiful cards - they are each so wonderful and dynamic in the styling of them!! My favorite of this batch is the fabulous hello card!!! SO wonderful and the design of that card and the others in this post are phenomenal!!! Your backgrounds that you created with the alcohol inks are amazing and breath-takingly lovely!! Super impressive!!

Audrey Pettit said...

OMWord, Char, look at all those beautiful cards! You are amazing, Girlfriend! SO love all your techniques with the alcohol inks!

Jinny Newlin said...

Wow! You've outdone yourself, love! The color, once again, is utterly amazing, and I just love the way you so effortlessly combine mixed media with stamping and layering. Yum!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

My oh my, beautiful work!

Margaret R said...

Stunning cards - gorgeous colours!

Greta said...

I've never been very successful using my alcohol inks, but you've inspired me to try again, Char! Your cards are wonderful--love how you combined colors! Thank you for the wonderful post & congrats on being featured by W&W! I was just given the hello die & would love to add some of their stamps to my collection.

Chriss Blagrave said...

Amazing colours achieved with the alcohol ink Char! Love!

~amy~ said...

seriously swooning on all these beauties! Love your style.

Melissa Friedrich said...

Love these Addie Blooms and alcohol ink techniques on your beautiful cards, great layouts too!

Jean Bullock said...

Fabulous cards. My very favorite is the sending smiles card. I love the layout, the brilliant colors and the heat embossing. Well done.

Larissa Heskett said...

WOWOWOOWOWOOW!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE ALL of these BEAUTIES!! =)

fyk said...

Beautiful cards! Esp love the colors of the prayers card!!

Tracey said...

I think its time for me to go shopping! I really love Addie Blooms, such pretty cards. Love your water colouring!

Eva said...

Awesome cards!!! I love the card with gold embossing powder.
kisses;)

Lin said...

Wonderful effects with the alcohol inks - the only time I've used them is for the old polished stone technique.....looks like I'd better get them out and play some more. Beautiful designs, Char!

Gee K. said...

Love the heat embossing on the sending smiles card!

Mary-Anne V said...

Really neat to see how you used the alcohol inks...great projects.