Hi Friends!

Well I survived my trip to the dentist. I know for some it's no big deal....but for me it's HUGE! We all have fears in life and that's mine. I broke my tooth and had to get it sanded and a cap put on. So today I say...no more dentist fears...I need to quit being a big baby! :-)


My friend that I work with made these wonderful cupcakes for another woman I work with who happened to turn 50 last week. I wanted to share them...didn't they turn out wonderful? And so much fun! It makes me want to try and make them. It sounds pretty easy..here's some instructions that I found, and if you decide to try them I want to see :-)I

Friday, April 16, 2010Butterfly Cupcakes

These might be a bit time consuming but the butterflies can be made up to 2 days in advance . Just store them in an air tight container till you are ready to assemble the cupcakes.


What You Need:

Cupcakes baked in paper liners

Dark cocoa melting wafers

Colored candy melting wafers (I used yellow and pink)

White nonpareils

Vanilla Frosting

Food coloring (for the frosting)



You'll Also Need:

Ziploc bags

Squeeze bottle

Toothpicks (I liked the double sided kind)

Stiff cardboard-type paper

Wax paper




And look at all the pretty colors! These would be so cute for the grandkids B'day's


1. On a piece of paper draw the butterfly templates for the wings and antennas. Cut small squares of wax paper.

2. Place 1 cup of the dark cocoa wafers in a glass bowl and melt according to package directions in the microwave. Stir well to make sure it is all well melted. Pour into a squeeze bottle.

3. Add 1 cup of colored wafers into a Ziploc bag (do not seal bag), then microwave for 10-15 sec increments. Massage the bag as you go along till all the wafers are melted. Snip 1/16 inch corner from the bag for piping.

4. Working one wing at a time, outline the templates on the wax paper with the dark cocoa. Work quickly because the wafers will start to set. I also had a mug filled half way with very hot water nearby. I put the squeeze bottle in the mug to keep the cocoa melted in between each wing set.

5. Using the colored melted wafer, fill the inside. Use a toothpick to gently spread the colored cocoa to fill the wing.

6. While the candy is still soft, use a toothpick to pull the outside dark cocoa into the colored middle part, to create a pattern.


7. Add a few sprinkles before the wings set. Then set aside to dry.

8. Use the dark cocoa to make the antennas, set aside to dry.

9. Once the wings are completely dry, gently peal them from the wax paper. Fold a piece of stiff construction paper, then open and place inside a bowl to held hold it's shape. Fold the wax paper in half also and place on top of the stiff paper, then add the wings so they are touching each other. Pipe dark cocoa in between the two wings to make the body. Keep the butterfly in the two papers till completely dry.

10. Tint the icing with food coloring and pipe on top of the cupcakes. Add the butterflies and then the antennas. Voila!

Source: Hello Cupcake!



O.K. I know that in officially addicted to these accordion medallions... they are fun and easy to make!


This little guy was made with Crate paper, my nestabilities and my paint dabber in (Snow)

I hope your having a great week. I really appreciate your wonderful comments and your friendship :-)  Char

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Well, you have two of my favorite things, cupcakes & your cards(:
I have not tried that technique on the cupcakes, but they look amazing!!! I always love your beautiful cards.
Love the medallions as well. Yours are perfect!!!!

Deanna said...

Gasp this is all amazing!

mar said...

LOVE the reindeer card and the accordian with the stamp..awesome!!! Cupcakes are cute too!!! Mar

Audrey Pettit said...

My goodness, those cupcakes look amazing! I just love those butterflies and am wondering if I am brave enough to try them.
And what gorgeous cards, Char! I just love those accordion folds, too. That reindeer is just adorable.
What a fabulous post today, my friend!

Lisa Dorsey said...

Oh those cupcakes look divine! Great cards too. Have a wonderful Halloween my sweet friend!

s4j said...

How gorgeous do those butterfly toppers look. Totally inspired. Thanks heaps

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Oh my gosh Char! I can not believe you made those cupcakes!!! They look right from the Martha Stewart show!!! Gorgeous! Your cards are fabulous too! I love the accordian and that lil' dear is darling :)